Braised Halibut with Leeks
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 55 minutes
- 3 leeks
- 3 tbsp butter or ghee
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1.5 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 lb halibut cut into two portions
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut off and discard the bottom root parts and green hard parts of leek. Slice remaining parts of leeks in half lengthwise, then widthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Place in a colander and rinse thoroughly
- In dutch oven, melt butter or ghee over medium heat, add garlic and sliced leeks, season with salt and pepper, and stir to coat the leeks well. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add the white wine, scrape fond from bottom of pan, stir in thyme, and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and bake for 30-35 minutes or until leeks are very tender.
- Season the halibut with salt and pepper. Nestle the halibut in the leeks, pour the heavy cream or coconut milk over the halibut, cover, and bake for 15-20 more minutes or until the halibut flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove the halibut from the pan, place it on a warmed tray, and tent with foil to keep warm. Put the pan back on the stovetop over medium heat, squeeze lemon juice into sauce, and reduce until slightly thick.
- Serve the halibut with leeks and sauce