Brined Quail with Cherry Port Sauce
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Yield 4 servings
- 4 quail
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- rosemary sprigs
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 7 parsley stalks
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp shallot finely chopped
- 1 cup pitted cherries (I use frozen)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- /2 tsp salt
- 1 cup port wine
The Night Before
- Heat the water with the salt and the sugar until the salt and sugar dissolved.
- Add juniper berries, peppercorns, parsley, bay leaves and garlic. Stir to combine. Leave to cool.
- Add quail and leave in the brine for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Remove quail from the brine and pat dry.
- Place in a roasting pan and transfer to the oven. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add shallots and cook until softened.
- Add cherries, sugar, salt and port. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a light simmer. Add remaining butter and whisk until incorporated.