For chili paste
- 1 seranno pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey or molasses
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Rest of it
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 onion, finely diced
- olive oil
- basil paste, or fresh basil
- protein (I usually use 1lb ground pork and 4 slices bacon)
- vegetables (I usually use carrots, broccoli, and red bell peppers)
Inspired by the Cooks Illustrated recipe, but I’ve changed it up a bit
- Cook rice.
- Mix the chili paste ingredients in a food processor.
- Mix the sauce.
- Place a bit of oil in a large pan and saute the onion. When it looks good, move to a bowl.
- Cook large vegetables (broccoli, red bell peppers). I’ll usually add a bit of water and put the lid on so they can steam while cooking. When they’re done, add to the bowl.
- In a separate pan, cook the ground pork and bacon. When it looks good, move to a plate with paper towels to soak up excess fat.
- Add more oil, turn it to medium-high heat and add chili paste. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until it’s a bit golden
- Add the meat and stir it in.
- Push everything to the sides. Stir up the sauce (if honey is stuck to bottom, microwave for a few seconds), then pour in the middle of the pan.
- When the sauce starts to bubble, add rice and mix it all up.
- Add basil paste or fresh basil and stir it in for a few seconds
- Pour in the bowl of cooked veg and stir it in. Cook for a few minutes while stirring to make sure everything is nice and warm. Then serve.
View online at www.cooksillustrated.com
Find in Complete America’s Test Kitchen Cookbook, page 449